f


Soccer AM/MW - the home of lively and humorous discussion from the Football and Non Leagues

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Editorial 14

Hey all,

I'm expecting my latest words to be read by more than the usual one man and his dog who regularly frequent the site.

That's not to say their loyalty isn't valued as highly as before though. We still love you Cinnamon, and your dog too.

Turls informs me though that several followers of Sheffield Wednesday have added us as their home page, which is nice. I think I believe him...

You may well have seen the explosion of interest from his thoughts on the Owls and their boss Gary Megson earlier in the week.

What was that Abe Lincoln once said? You can
please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but Megson-lovers none of the time?

I may be wrong on that last part as, like a game of Chinese Whispers, it has probably evolved over time since John Wilkes Booth did his damage. Purple monkey dishwasher indeed.

So large was the volume of traffic generated though that, as Turls cowered under a desk in Soccer AM/MW towers to hide from the barrage of abuse he was receiving, Lakes and I cracked open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate.

Well, I say bubbly, you know I mean Irn Bru really. Mind you, it was 2005 vintage. Like wine it gets better with age, you see.

After we returned to the office from our Bru Binge though, we were met with the distressing scene of Turls, clutching his knees and rocking.

Like The Go-Go's, my lips are sealed on most of the details from that evening, but let's just say Turls had an adverse reaction to a ginger tabby he spotted out of the window.

It seems the colour brings out the very worst in him. He's never been able to look at Geri the same way, the poor guy.

The good news is I've put him in touch with my therapist - who assures me he does a great mate's rate - and I'll keep you posted on how things develop. Fingers crossed that the only way from here is up.

Having said that, if all we had to do was lambaste a club's manager to attract such huge figures, we'd have done it much sooner.

As I write, we're currently selecting a random Football League boss to insult in the future, so if you'd like to nominate your own then you know the ways to get in touch.

The email is
soccerammw@gmail.com and we're on that Twitter site thing too for all suggestions, complaints, praise, death threats. You know, the usual.

In other news, I'm moderately excited to let you know that, with a piece about Bradford from yours truly coming up at the end of the week, we'd have finally completed our coverage of all 72 Football League clubs this season.

Now, I think most of it pretty fair and complimentary, so I'm hoping to avoid incurring the wrath of an entire Yorkshire city myself.

The thought, allied with the many responses I've received after explaining the titles on the site wondering if I actually have a life, is enough to get me back out on that ledge with Frasier Crane. I've come so far since that I don't really want to go back.

As ever, there are plenty of things to check out if you've missed them on the Talking Points section, and the tension on the Prediction League is almost palpable as we reach the season's climax. I know, it keeps me awake at night, too.

Unfortunately, I can't stay any longer as I'm busy arranging a belated birthday surprise for Turls - tickets for Saturday's match at Hillsborough. He'll be the one in full body armour.

Come on you Owls!

Nobes

No comments:

Post a Comment